Saturday, April 16, 2011

Little Late Night ....studying?

So I am studying for my sociology exam on Monday, and I have some thoughts about Social stratification.

This whole idea that your poor becuase you don't work hard enough? How is that even a legit enough to put in a text book. I can understand abusing the wealfare system (gah which irritages me ) but what do you tell the little girl whose mom work two jobs, and had to stop going to school to provide for her kids? What do you tell that little girl who wants a new pair of shoes....oh sorry your mom isn't working hard enough for you.

In the United States 37 million people are "cassified" as poor. "working poor"

So my Question is what is "The American Dream" is this idea of upward climb is social mobility. Ever raising the living standards for our children and our childrens children?

What is your dream?

There is this phycological idea behind being poor aswell, "poor people" are resigned to their situation thus not worried about gaining social mobility.

I find this all rediculous.....sure i know, I am not going to be Bill Gates one day, I am going to be a Social Worker....who will spend the rest of her life living pay check to pay check. I grew up way below that invisible "poverty line" i have never once concidered myself poor. I am making something out of my life, One day I will graduate from college, be the first one in my family to come out with a DEGREE, Once upon a time I will hopefuly get married..who knows..all I know is that we have an issue. The rich get richer and the poor get more poor. Which has been the story for a long time. Its this awkward prejudice against eachother. "the rich are selfish and they didn't earn their money....daddy gave it too them:" yayayda
"the poor just don't work hard enough"

I don't sugest i know the answer, but I do know is that if everyone were to help out someone when they needed help.....and i am not talking money/cash/loans...its the helping someone pull their weeds, letting someone who only has one item go ahead of you. LISTENING to people, be apart of peoples lives. Then we become a whole. Its not a Jesus thing its a HUMAN THING.

Ranting and ravings of a POOR college student :)

No comments:

Post a Comment